Thursday, February 12, 2009

Motherhood...

I am learning what it means to be a mother. Our newest baby, Sikili, has been sick now for a few weeks with Malaria that we have just not been able to get rid of. She became so dehydrated that we felt it was imperative that we keep her with us all the time to be feeding her as much as possible. Through a huge blessing from God we have had a team here as well as another young woman doing a survey trip that were all willing to help out with Sikili durring this difficult time. We all have taken turns to keep her at night or during the day. I cannot imagine how we would have survived this without the teams help. So Mirjam and I have maintained our sanity because we did not have to take her every night and were able to have help. The team and Beth left today, and they will be missed. The team consisted of two nurses, an architect, a guy that does lots of graphic designing and helping out at their church and a woman who has traveled all over the world doing some pretty amazing things. It was a great time getting to know them.
So tonight Sikili and I are hanging out and I am praying that I will get a little bit of sleep so Im not completely useless tomorrow, but we will see.
Tonight I was also blessed to witness one of the most amazingly beautiful sights I have ever seen. It was during the prayer meeting I lead for the younger children. We were singing songs in the beginning so I let some of the little ones come in and sing along. Generally this is my favorite part of the prayer meetings because the kids sing so beautifully, but today was really special. One of the little ones, who is about three years old, was singing with his whole heart. Josiah is his name and I dont think I have ever seen anything more beautiful than him singing with everything within him, eyes closed and hands lifted up to heaven. I so wished I had a camera, but I think that may have ruined the moment. As it was I had tears in my eyes witnessing Gods grace in one so little. Motherhood is being proud of all your children, and glorying in moments like this. I will cherish that memory for the rest of my life.
I am finding it easy to think of all of these children as my own. Even at the times when they seem less than lovable, I still find joy in loving them. That has to be from God. I alone would never have that kind of love available. Praise God for His love and grace in us.

No comments: