Monday, September 22, 2008

Life in Kampala, Uganda

So before I leave tomorrow, I just wanted to paint a picture for you of life in Kampala, Uganda. Kampala is a larger city, so everything seems faster there than in the surrounding villages. There are buses that take loads of passengers all over, but they pack people in them so tight. These buses stop for nobody. So pedestrians must be careful, watching the right way, since Uganda was colonized by Great Britain, they drive on the left side. Also, amidst all of these buses spouting out black smoke, are what is called a Boda. These are motorcycles or mopeds that swerve in and out of traffice, between cars and buses. On these Bodas people can pay 1000 shillings, about 50 cents, to ride from one place to another. I have actually had the pleasure of riding on a Boda, luckily not in the city, but it was quite an experience. Let me just say that you are not to hang on the the driver, so that hand hold was out, and women usually ride sideways. I did not as I was wearing trousers, thank goodness, but I had to hang on to the back for dear life. It was quite fun, but not something I would do on a regular basis.
Another sight unexpected was when we were stopped in traffic because cattle were being hearded accross the street. Mind you, this was not a rural setting, but in a busy market area. Very funny. I took pictures, but do not have them with me at the moment. It amazed me that people just walked around these cattle like it was nothing. Now, these cattle have HUGE horns, like spears. Very thick and very dangerous looking. Personally I was glad I was in the car.
In general the wildlife is not so different, at least not here. The only difference is that chickens and goats and such are all welcome to roam free. The other day I thought this rooster was going to come into the house, it stood at the door cockadoodledooing and generally making a racket. Phyl told me that there had in fact been chickens that came into her house before. I just laughed.
So, we walk often, to get from one place to another, and it feels like I am going hiking every day, in flip-flops. I like it for the most part, but it is really quite hot, even though it seems to be the rainy season. The ground is like clay, with rocks interspersed.
I feel like there are so many things to see that I cannot possibly write about it all in one sitting. I wish that I could just take a video camera of everything I see in my head so that you all could see the many signs of poverty and just how completely different the culture is. Driving alone is so different that I could not possibly describe for you how the rules of the road are here. Mainly because they are only loosely followed.
So I leave you with this for now... Here the worship is the same, it is beautiful to see how they love the Lord and express that love through beautiful song. Most people are friendly, most people find joy in the small things, and most people have a ready smile. I think these are the important things. The rest can be tolerated if you just remember how much love these people have to give and how much love you have to give through Christ.
So tomorrow I leave on a small plane to Sudan and my next blog will be of a whole new flavor. God Bless!!

1 comment:

audrey a10show said...

It took me this long to lose the tears and focus on a message to you.

How beautiful your trip has been thus far; God is amazing!
We love you and are thinking of you!

Had a great day today in the world within kansas: pilates, drive with a friend, CHICKEN (I think of you everytime I eat chicken), toys r us, movie, dinner, dice games with a WONDERFUL family, visited the station, and currently house hunting. Oh how I wish I could be there with you. I received more supplies; let me know if you need anything that I can send to you. Lots of hugs!