Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Birthday and Christmas Preperations

My birthday was such a wonderful day! As soon as I stepped outside of my room there was a banner of cards made by the children saying happy birthday. It really made the day so special even from the very beginning. It really only got better from there. I had the chance to go out to lunch with Pooshani and Mirjam, and we took 5 of the younger boys with us. It was so fun! We had chicken and chips (french fries) and a soda. This was a real treat! Also, throughout the day Mirjam had the kids singing Happy Birthday to me and I felt so loved! I missed my family and friends back home so much, but was so blessed by my Sudan family here. The whole day was just so nice and I felt so much a part of this community.
We are getting ready for Christmas here at Harvesters and I am completely awed by how blessed these children are! They have truly made this a special time for the kids. I have been put in charge of decorating the church, and I have to say this is truly a stretch for me. I am so not artistic, but God gives us opportunities to step outside of ourselves and do everything for His glory despite our discomfort. So hopefully it will turn out. Thank God for Martha Stewart, as I have utilized her website for craft ideas. Without this help, who knows how the church would have turned out :) I also getting excited to give the gifts that Mirjam and I made for the kids. We are giving them a package of bisquits and a bookmark with a Bible verse on them. We made the bookmarks, and they actually turned out pretty nice. Im excited because I will get pass each one out because Mirjam will be on Holiday, so I get to see each of their faces as I give them their gift. It will be so nice!! I pray that each of you are blessed during this Christmas season with so much joy, love and laughter. You are all such a blessing to me here as well as to the children through your love and prayers. Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, and Merry Christmas!

Pat said...

Ashley,
HAPPY HAPPY Birthday. I am so glad it turned out wonderfully for you. I wish you the best for Christmas and New Years and hope your celebration with the children there is glorious. Know we are thinking about you and missing you back home.
Pat

lap said...

Hey Ashley

If you can, take a picture of the church decorations. I may want to hire you when you get back, you maybe the next "Martha"!! You never know what hidden talents are behind that beautiful smile!! I know you will enjoy the kids, they will be such a joy to watch during the gift giving. We will be thinking of you at the lodge.....I'm sure there will be a game of Apples to Apples and we will miss your CRAZY answers!!

Merry Christmas
Love Lou Ann