Today we lost a child. Illness can take them so quickly, with no real warning, leaving us bereft and asking ourselves how did this happen. One of our orphans passed away today. Little Lona Aputu, only 6 months old. Three days ago she was healthy and happy, playing and learning how to crawl. Initially her illness seemed only like a stomach virus, having tested negative for malaria twice. She was becoming weaker and weaker, but not so dehydrated that we were really concerned. Today we decided to put in an IV because she was becoming so weak, although we still did not know the cause. Neither Mirjam or I have experience putting an IV in such a small child, so we took her to Dr. Mathias to see her and start the IV. Before she got there she had begun having convulsions, so Dr. Mathias started her on some very strong antibiotics in case it was meningitis and also started Quinine in case it was Malaria that just hadnt shown up. While at his office she was fine and breathing normal, still just weak. Then when she got back here she began having convulsions again and even bagan having severe stiffening of her body, arching her back. At this point we were doing all that we could, but it wasnt enough. She needed to be put on Oxygen, but that is something we just dont have here in Sudan. Her breathing became extremely labored, even stopping at times. We prayed most fervently! She was now showing signs of meningitis, though there had been no other signs nor any warnings. Her aunt came to visit today, and found her in this condition. She stayed with Aputu throughout the end, holding her. Mirjam and I did CPR for a long time before we could admit that we had lost her. Tears running down our faces, willing her to breath, willing her heart to beat again. I am so sorry to all of you who have been here, had the chance to know little Aputu. Our comfort is that she no longer suffers, she is home with her Father in Heaven.
How do you say goodbye to one so small? Time can be no indication of how great we love, as I have only known Aputu such a short time as 6 months. But in that time we have made memories, I have watched her grow and learn how to crawl...seen her smile. In times like this it is difficult to see Gods plan, His path. But we must press on, seeking Him in all things. In Psalm 62: 5-8 it says:
"For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my deliverance and my honor;
My mighty rock, my refuge is in God.
Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us."
We must pour out our hearts before Him and trust that He sees every tear, hears every cry and is with us in these difficult times. Thank you all for your love and prayers.

2 comments:
Ashley- I am so sorry to hear of the loss of this child of God...I can imagine how difficult that must be for you and Miriam and all who knew her. I think of you and the great service you are providing in Yei and you are in my prayers I will be keeping you there more closely today. When I feel weary and at a loss for any other form of words I begin to recall all the names of God and then I am comforted....provider,comforter, almighty,deliverer,able,faithful,
refuge,source of strength,great I am,prince of peace,the life...may you recall all the names that God is for you today.
God Bless You-
Michael
sorry to hear this news girl. you are seeing some hard things down there. thanks for loving that girl and giving all you had to help her. you are amazing and i know that God used all of you in her life for so much good even in so short a time. love you.
Post a Comment