Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Passing the Torch...

Oh, the difficulties of passing on your responsibilities to another person. Mirjam and I are finding the challenge in this. Especially as our new nurses dont have the same work ethic as we do. I cannot say which is better, just different. Mirjam and I move quickly, trying to use our time to its fullest, whereas Betty and Esther move at a much slower pace. This is proving to be difficult on both sides. It is taking a lot of patience from all of us to work together in harmony. We have now began teaching Betty, who is actually a nurse, all that she will need to know when we leave, and focusing on having Esther be just a nurses assistant, which she is perfectly capable of doing. I am just hoping we have enough time with Betty, as it seems it may take some time for her to become comfortable. I think in the States and probably Switzerland we are used to a different type of learning than they are here. Mirjam and I learned by being told to do things and be a part of the learning process, always having to take initiative to learn and study. Whereas here I think that must not be how they are taught. Betty seems to hesitate to do anything unless we expresly tell her she must be looking this up or doing that. So please pray for patience for Mirjam and I as we adapt to this different attitude towards learning.
I feel like now all I am doing is getting ready to leave. I worry about this attitude because then I am not taking the time to enjoy the moment that I am in. I have such a short time left here and feel like I should be savoring each moment, so I can look back with a feeling of completeness that I spent every moment fully and completely for His work. So that is what I am working on in myself, so that these last few weeks will be good, although they are proving to be a challenge and test of my teaching skills.
Yesterday we went to the other orphanage in town to do a health check up for their kids. It was really nice to go and see them, be doing something new and very much needed. They do not have a nurse on their compound yet, although they are looking for one, so we were invited to come out and do a check up. This was the first we have been invited, but we really enjoyed it and almost wish we would be here longer to build on that ministry. They are a younger orphanage and are still building up, but they have about 90 kids. They are on the other side of Yei, actually quite a ways away from Harvesters, but we know one of the girls that works there so she was the one to ask us out for this health clinic. We saw the normal things, like Malaria and respiratory infections, all the things we see here, but it seemed as if we saw them with new eyes, because these were kids that didnt always get easy treatment like ours so we saw a real need there. Sometimes I find myself thinking the kids here are spoiled because they come with such small wounds that are "paining" when there are those in the village with huge wounds or real illnesses that dont get treatment. So it was nice to feel truly needed. Not that I dont here, as we do have sick kids and such, but its always nice to see outside your own little world. But God is good and He is still working here at Harvesters and in me so I thank Him every day for giving me this time here.

No comments: