This was a most amazing holiday. The conference went really well, with lots of time to just be with God. I really enjoyed this time, although one of the days I layed out in the grass under a tree and subsequently got eaten alive by bugs...I am still feeling the effects of this a week later. Who knew they had the equivalent of chiggers in Africa? But anyways, we went through part of the book I Thessalonians. I must admit that up to this point I have given this book no more than a passing glance up to this point, so it was quite enlightening to see it from another perspective. I was amazed at the things found there. The use of words alone in this letter are amazing. Everything seems to be emphasized and the Paul seems to be actively waiting for Christ to come again. We talked a lot about this concept and it really hit home. Are we actively waiting for Christ to come again? What does this mean? It made for some good reflective time. I dont think I have really thought much about this concept up to this point, but in truth, we should all be actively waiting for His return. This means living every day, taking every oportunity to love and share His word. So, am I doing this? Its something I am going to have to work very hard at. To conciously be working towards that goal. Prayers are welcome :)
As for the safari, it was amazing! I cannot describe how beautiful it was there. I wish I had my friends talent for words, who described a butterfly as a "periwinkle irridecent spotted butterfly." I will just say that it was breathtaking, with moments of pure awe. We went with John, another AIM missionary that had been there about 4 times before, so he was our guide and he just drove around the park and we could stop whenever we wanted. It was great. He got us quite close to some of the animals, like the elephants and girraffes that crossed the road just in front of our car. At one point it was so funny because an elephant came along that was maybe 50 yards from the car, he came by stopped just by the car then started scratching its bottom on the rock. It was really funny when John started doing commentary like "Oooh, aahhh, thats the spot, right there!" We all laughed so hard our sides were hurting! Then when we were waiting for the ferry a baboon came along and let himself into the back of the car and stole a loaf of bread, while we were still in the car!! It was really quite funny after the initial panic of having a baboon in the car :) Then while we were waiting for the ferry another time there was a huge hippo just on the banks, chowing down on some grass. We were so close, and just a little nervous as they are really quite a dangerous animal. But we were reassured by the lady working the ferry that this particular hippo was not so dangerous and we were perfectly safe. We still kept our distance, I didnt feel like being trampled by an angry hippo. Then we went to the top of the falls and it was so incredibly beautiful! There was such power there! It was really quite a small space that all that water squeezes through, so it was amazing watching the churning water splashing up on one bank, only to crash onto the other side a moment later. Gods power and grace was so apparent here. His power was in every crash of water against the rock wall and every swirl of water passing through the crevice and His grace in that we were allowed to be so close to such power and be unharmed. God is so amazing in His creation! I wish I could add all my pictures so you could see every elephant, every girraffe and every funny moment that we had. But I will share those when I return, and that will be soon.
My return home was amazing. As soon as I got within sight of the compound some of the workers were returning home and saw me on the boda boda and began calling out with excitement. Then when I got to the compound the kids all screamed out "Ashley!" and I was surrounded by children and workers excited to see me. Even the older kids came running to greet me. It truly felt like a homecoming. I love this place! I also added one picture of Akech because he is my little guy who is always excited to see me, even if he just saw me two minutes ago. He was extactic that I had returned to him. This is how I should be running towards Christ, extatic in every moment I can be serving Him. God is so present in each of these children and I am thankful for the moments He allows me to share with them. God Bless!!

No comments:
Post a Comment