Beginning on Monday Mirjam and I helped out with a clinic that was run by some Americans that also came to do some teaching for the church leaders. They had two doctors and one nurse, so they were incredibly thankful that Mirjam and I helped them out. We basically did triage and then sent them on to the doctor. We both really enjoyed working with them and it was actually quite nice to be doing something a little different for a change. All of the Americans were so nice. The two doctors were a Pulmonologist and a Neurologist. So it was cool to see such educated men take the time out of their busy lives, to spend here in Africa. They did say that Sudan was the neediest place they had ever been, and I would have to agree with them there. Besides the doctors and nurse there were about 5 more people that did the teaching and pharmacy. All of them quite wonderful with great stories from past experiences. Then after their time here was finished they donated a bunch of medicine to our clinic! This was a huge blessing! Many of the medications they gave us were the ones that we were needing! We had a list of meds we were going to buy the next time we were in town, and they miraculously showed up and cut our list in half! God is so good! It was really funny because last night when Mirjam and I were looking through the medicines they gave us, Mirjam says "Its like Christmas!" And it really was! We just kept pulling out medicine after medicine that we needed and we were just so very excited! What a wonderful gift for them to give us. Also, after the day I worked with them they wanted to treat me out to dinner and I had meat for the first time in a very long time. I think the first time since I have been in Sudan. I didnt realize I was missing it so much until I had my first bite and it was like heaven :) Certainly not as good as my Dads, but meat is meat here in Sudan, you cant be too picky. But I do think the first meal I will request when I get home will be a nice big steak from my Dad :) He makes the best in the world!
Today I went in to town, it was the first time going by myself. It went quite well. I found what I needed very easily and went to the pharmacy for meds and it went well. Prices are going up, but I was still able to get them at a discounted price. Its nice to be known there because I was just able to walk back there and pick out the meds I needed then put them in a box and pay. I didnt need to wait in line or anything. So being a nurse under Harvesters has its perks :) Overall it has been a good day and now I am off for the rest of the day. Mirjam and I have agreed to have one day every other week off, so we dont get too overwhelmed. So far it is working quite nicely. I was able to go to town and get the things I needed as well as run an errand for the clinic.
I do want to update you on Winny, our little malnourished child. She is doing well, not yet gaining weight, but she is now able to hold herself up. Before she was unable to even hold her head up, and even just yesterday she was sitting up under a tree all by herself. So praise God for that. She is getting stronger and hopefully with lots of care and food she can become a normal child again. Please continue to pray for her. Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts and prayers. I am so blessed to be so well supported and this orphanage could not run without that love and prayer. God Bless!!

1 comment:
Hey Ashely
I so love to read your blogs. Keep up the good work!!! I am very happy to hear that Winny is doing better. Also, it is great that you and the other nurse are taking turns with a day off. I think that is so important for your mental health. Everyone needs a break once in awhile. I bet is was fun to work with the other Americans. You are having such a wonderful opportunity. These experiences will be with you for the rest of your life!! I am sending you a package this week...hope it gets to you without getting torn up!! Gary is trying to set up Skype, so we can talk with him while he travels and also to talk with you. That is why he called, but he didn't have everything set up!! Hope he didn't wake you!! take care of yourself, you are looking good in the pictures, hope the malaria symptoms are gone!! Love you bunches
Lou Ann
Post a Comment