I know it has been a while since I have written on my blog, so I appologize for that. Last Sunday Mirjam and I took some of the girls into Yei for a nice outing away from the orphanage. We walked to town and did some "window shopping" (not that there are any windows in the market). We then sat down together and had a soda, then walked back home. It was so nice to have that opportunity to spend with the girls, talking and laughing together. They are really amazing young women. Along the way to town we also pass by some beautiful villages, so I took a picture of one so you all can see the beauty of Sudan. By the time we got back my feet looked so dirty that if all you saw were my feet, you would think I was an African, and that is saying something considering how white I am :) It was an overall good day.
Then on this last Wednesday I had the day off, so I decided to go into town to go visit Winny at Maltesers Hospital. I went into the market and bought some fruits and vegetables that would be good to supplement her diet, and some g-nut paste (which is like peanut butter), and some eggs. So I walked all around town for these things, also picking up some meds for the clinic, then by the time that I got to the hospital, Winny wasnt there! Her grandmother had taken her into town for something so I had just missed her! I was so disappointed! But I got a good report on her and gave them the food to give to her. The nurses there told me that she was standing on her own with support, feeding herself and able to hold a cup of water for herself! This is such a huge improvement! I was so impressed with the staff because they seemed to genuinely care for Winny and her progress. They rejoiced with me in her improvements and were really excited. Mirjam was able to go then the next day and get some wonderful pictures of her and she is so much better! My heart is singing with joy for this precious little child.
Yesterday the short-term coordinator from AIM, Megan, arrived here at Harvesters to spend a nice week visiting with me. This is so nice and Im really excited to get a chance to know her and show her around the compound. She is incredibly nice, and I really like her sense of humor, so I think we will get along just fine. But I think she came at the wrong time, because yesterday our electric water pump died and so our water supply is dwindling. And today they determined that it was not fixable and will be replacing it with a manual pump. This isnt so bad, but Ive gotten used to being pampered and having hot water. That of course is all a thing of the past now :) Also, we will be having to carry our own water in "Geri cans," which are just these big containers that can hold quite a bit of water. So I will be getting my work out and will be so strong when I come home that all of you will think Im a body builder :) So other that that all is going well. We just did some vaccinations today and I always feel really bad when they cry, but shots are never fun, but they are important. Tomorrow I am going to Goli to see a graduation that another missionary is participating in. Tara is a teacher at this school, I think, and we are going to see her. So it should be a nice day, but I have heard that an African cerimony is incredibly long and boring. So I dont look forward to that. I am excited to see another town though. Its I think about an hours drive from where I am, so something completely different. Im excited. I will try to keep updated more often. Love you all!! God Bless!
Then on this last Wednesday I had the day off, so I decided to go into town to go visit Winny at Maltesers Hospital. I went into the market and bought some fruits and vegetables that would be good to supplement her diet, and some g-nut paste (which is like peanut butter), and some eggs. So I walked all around town for these things, also picking up some meds for the clinic, then by the time that I got to the hospital, Winny wasnt there! Her grandmother had taken her into town for something so I had just missed her! I was so disappointed! But I got a good report on her and gave them the food to give to her. The nurses there told me that she was standing on her own with support, feeding herself and able to hold a cup of water for herself! This is such a huge improvement! I was so impressed with the staff because they seemed to genuinely care for Winny and her progress. They rejoiced with me in her improvements and were really excited. Mirjam was able to go then the next day and get some wonderful pictures of her and she is so much better! My heart is singing with joy for this precious little child.
Yesterday the short-term coordinator from AIM, Megan, arrived here at Harvesters to spend a nice week visiting with me. This is so nice and Im really excited to get a chance to know her and show her around the compound. She is incredibly nice, and I really like her sense of humor, so I think we will get along just fine. But I think she came at the wrong time, because yesterday our electric water pump died and so our water supply is dwindling. And today they determined that it was not fixable and will be replacing it with a manual pump. This isnt so bad, but Ive gotten used to being pampered and having hot water. That of course is all a thing of the past now :) Also, we will be having to carry our own water in "Geri cans," which are just these big containers that can hold quite a bit of water. So I will be getting my work out and will be so strong when I come home that all of you will think Im a body builder :) So other that that all is going well. We just did some vaccinations today and I always feel really bad when they cry, but shots are never fun, but they are important. Tomorrow I am going to Goli to see a graduation that another missionary is participating in. Tara is a teacher at this school, I think, and we are going to see her. So it should be a nice day, but I have heard that an African cerimony is incredibly long and boring. So I dont look forward to that. I am excited to see another town though. Its I think about an hours drive from where I am, so something completely different. Im excited. I will try to keep updated more often. Love you all!! God Bless!

3 comments:
Happy Thanksgiving Ashley. We will miss you tomorrow at your parents house, but wish you all the best. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Aunt Pat
Hello Ashley..Once again I enjoyed reading your blog. You are having so many experiences. I loved seeing the pictures, it just gives us a better idea of what life is like for you. Logan is home for Thanksgiving, so we have been playing family games and today we will do "just a little" shopping. Just the normal holiday activities.
Take care....Love you Aunt Lou Ann
fHi Ashley! I just wanted to say that it was so nice to meet you and Miriam while I was in Yei....and say Thank You to both of you again for all your help with the medical clinic at the 1st of November....I found your blog and was so excited to see your picture...I also have a blog and I am currently in Nairobi,Kenya after having surgery from a motor bike accident. I should be able to get back to Sudan at the end of this year! I that you are doing well and look forward to reading more soon. my email is mjknorris@yahoo.com or you can just check put my blog to catch up on what I've been up to:) Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
In His Service Always-
Michael
Post a Comment