Monday, October 6, 2008

Getting to know the Children







I have struggled with learning the children's names, so I am really making an effort to get to know them. Its just so difficult when there are about 135 children here at our orphanage alone. During the day we also see the children from the school and people from the village. But Im getting better, and now I at least know their faces. I know which ones are prone to causing trouble, which ones need just a little extra care, and which ones have the sweet disposition that they laugh and smile most of the time.



Saturday I went out with Pooshani for village ministry again and it was wonderful. This time there were more children and we were in a Tookle, the homes of the village people. It was cramped but the children sing so beautifully! Also the older girl from the orphanage, Nunas, did a fantastic job teaching and getting the children to interact and everything. I really enjoyed my time there.



On Sunday I was able to sing with the choir for the offeratory, and we sang the song that I had taught them. "Sanctuary" is the name of the song and I just really love that song. They did a fantastic job too.



So God is blessing me with many opportunities for ministry. I am really enjoying these times to have a little different thing than just the clinic.



The clinic is going really well, I think that Mirjam and I work very well together. This weekend Jochen was gone to Kampala for a visit, so Mirjam and I were on our own since Thurs. I think this was good that we had to rely on our own knowledge than just to ask him. He has a lot of experience, so it has been nice to be able to get his imput, but he will be leaving soon, so we have to be comfortable. He is only staying until we feel comfortable in the clinic. I think he may stay for only another week or two.



I am also starting to read the book "Where there is No Doctor" so think this will help to make me feel more comfortable in the clinic. So far Im not doing too bad. I am really feeling quite comfortable diagnosing and working with the people. Now I just need to work more on my Arabic. There is still so much to learn.




The other day I also tried mixing the poridge like they do in the kitchen for the children. It is really hard work! I will put a picture up of me trying it, its really quite funny. Mirjam and I had all the kitchen staff laughing hysterically at us. They thought we were pretty funny for even trying it out. We werent too bad, but it really wears you out! I just dont know how they do it. The other two pictures are one of me doing village ministry with all the children and the other is of baby Nyoko, the one that had been burned really bad. Look how beautiful he is! Praise God that he is all healed.

Well, God Bless everyone and keep me updated on whats going on in your lives!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Ashley,
Wow, you have accomplished so much already in such a short time. It sounds like you are truly where you were met to be. Keep up the great work.
Aunt Pat

JLAV said...

Ashely
My mom passed along your blog and I was so excited to read all about what you have been doing. I'm so proud of what you are doing and what you have already accomplished in such a short time. Please know that my prayers are with you and we can't wait to see you again and hear all about your mission trip. You are truly God's blessing to this world. Keep you the great work and I can't wait to keep reading all about it.
God Bless! :)

Jen

audrey a10show said...

wahoo! looks difficult/fun!!!! love love love you!

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
What an amazing time you've had so far! You are in my thoughts and prayers often and I hope things are going well. I love the pictures! Post more. What are you doing, by the way with a big stick in a big pot? Are you doing laundry or just making a big pot of soup? I love the book you lent me!!! I will be taking boards soon. Take care.

Love,
Di