Sunday, October 12, 2008

Rain

It is the rainy season. It has rained every day now. When I first got here they were wondering if maybe the season had ended early because there had been no rain for a little while or if it did, then it was a light sprinkle. But now we have had good rains every day. I personally really like it. I love the rain, especially the smell afterwards and just before. It also cools things off here quite a bit. It gets pretty hot here, but not unbearable. I wonder what it will be like during the dry season. I think it wont be so bad because there wont be this humidity.
But enough of that...Things here are going very well. We have some visitors here from the states. Two women who are teaching across the way doing some language teaching or something like that. They are very nice women, but also very strong personalities. One of them is a nurse and would like to help us out in the clinic a little bit. So that means four people in our small little clinic treating patients. I think it gets crowded sometimes with just the three of us. And as for that, we are losing Jochen next Monday. Mirjam and I are very sad about that. He is really a great addition and the three of us have really become great friends, with our own little jokes. So he will be missed. But I guess its nice because it means that Mirjam and I are comfortable and capable to care for the clinic.
Today I realized something very cool. These children are incredibly inventive. They make up the simplest games with the small little things they find and make into such fun. They have a game using bottle caps they got somewhere and make goal posts out of sticks and its like a soccer game using the bottle caps to "kick" the ball into the goal. Its really quite clever. Its really fun to watch them in their interactions and such. They are so smart!
Today I tought some of the older kids Sunday school, and they were so inteligent in their answers and were very interactive. I was very proud of them. Every day I am amazed anew at these children. Praise God for each of them and their many varied personalities.
On Tuesday Mirjam and I are going in to town for an eye conference being held here in Yei. We have a young girl that got a stick thrown in her eye some time back. Her cornia was torn and she was taken to Juba and Kampala for treatment. Well, now she needs glasses and a prescription for them so we need to get her to Juba for the eye doctor, but maybe we can see what resources there are here. So we shall see, Im really quite excited to go. It should be a good day.
Well, God Bless and I hope all is well with all of you.

No comments: